The borough of Media is the county seat of Delaware County, Pennsylvania and is located 13 miles west of Philadelphia. Media was incorporated in 1850 at the same time that it was named the county seat.
Points of Interest
- Minshall House (c.1750) on Route 252
- Media Presbyterian Church (1855) on Baltimore Ave. designed by John McArthur, Jr., architect of Philadelphia City Hall.
- Delaware County Institute of Science (1867)
on Veterans Square
- Delaware County Courthouse (1871) on Front Street
- Media-Providence Friends School (1876),
located at 125 W. 3rd Street
- Dr. Samuel D. Risley House (1877), 430 N. Monroe Street
- Hillhurst (1890) on Orange Street, designed by Addison Hutton and owned by John Biddle as a summer home.
- The Brick Church (1862) Nativity BVM's original church. Used as a school (1882-c.1950) after the main church was built. Currently used as a hall.
- Provident National Bank (1900) on State Street at Veterans Square, designed by Albert Dilks
- Media Armory (1908) on State St, designed by Will Price and M H. McClanahan. Now home to the PA Veterans Museum and Trader Joe's grocery store.
- Nativity BVM Church (1882) 30 E. Franklin St. Designed by Philadelphia ecclesiastical architect, Edwin Durang.
- Media Theatre (1927, restored 1994) on State St.,
designed by Louis Magaziner as a Beaux-Arts movie palace with Art Deco design elements.
- Jaisohn House (1925), 100 East Lincoln Street
- Old Rose Tree Tavern (1809),
listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971
- Gayley House (1855) 301 Gayley St.,
originally the Media Classical Institute, a Presbyterian academy founded by Rev. Samuel Maxwell Gayley.
In 1923, the building became a convent for Nativity BVM Catholic Church until 2005. It currently serves as Nativity's parish center.
The data relating to real estate for sale on this website appears in part through the TREND Internet Data Exchange (IDX) program, a voluntary cooperative exchange of property listing data between licensed real estate brokerage firms in which this broker participates, and is provided by TReND through a licensing agreement. The information provided by this website is for the personal, non-commercial use of consumers and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing. Some properties which appear for sale on this website may no longer be available because they are under contract, have sold or are no longer being offered for sale.
Updated: 1st October, 2018 1:16 PM.